Waste or rubbish is what people throw away because they no longer need it or want it. Almost everything we do creates waste and as a society we are currently producing more waste than ever before.
With this in mind our Eco-Committee and wider school agreed that it was vital to work on this topic for the Green Flag in order to help promote positive attitudes towards preventing waste and managing resources more effectively.
Some of the waste activities included -
- Cash for Clobber programme - collecting unwanted clothing and textiles.
- Promoting the use of the recycling bins in the classrooms.
- Introducing food waste bins in the playground and staffroom.
- Encouraging the use of reusable lunch boxes and water bottles.
- Recycling rainwater in school grounds.
- Waste assembly about reducing, reusing and recycling all materials.
- NI water assembly on water conservation
- Shoe Share Appeal & assembly.
- Reusable water bottle surveys.